Design Connect Create is an immersive, hands–on experience specifically for female students. Students who participate form a deep understanding of fascinating concepts and build confidence to move forward in science knowing they will be successful. They also have tons of fun, meet new friends, and are introduced to professional women role models working within Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields.
WHEN and WHERE IS THE CAMP?
July 23 - August 3, Monday through Friday, 9 am - 3 pm
Duncanville High School, 710 S. Cedar Ridge, Duncanville, TX 75137
WHO CAN ATTEND THE CAMP?
- Girls who will be in grades 8 to 12 in the fall (Why just girls? Learn why here.)
- No previous or planned coursework requirements
- Note: if the student has already taken physics, some concepts may be a review
WHAT WILL STUDENTS DO?
- Enjoy 50 hours of STEM programming during a 2-week day camp
- Immerse themselves in inquiry-based labs mapped to state TEKS for physics
- Exercise creativity and collaboration skills through team-based engineering design challenges that apply learning
- Improve spacial skills with logic and 3D visualization puzzles
- Challenge themselves to develop a growth mindset
- Equip themselves with tools to combat stereotype threat, and gender inequities
- Explore STEM careers through presentations, panels and discussions
- Engross themselves in fascinating and engaging demonstrations
- Visit local STEM companies and universities
WHAT WILL THE STUDENTS GET?
- Super Cool shirt
- Lunch and snacks each day
- Inspired learning, lasting memories and lifelong friends!
- NOTE: The only transportation we are able to provide is a DART pass. In addition, a free graphing calculator will only be available to students from the hosting district who attend all 10 days of camp.
WHY ARE WE DOING IT?
We aim for the following outcomes at each camp:
- 95% say they are better prepared for physics
- 90% say they are better prepared for college and career decisions
- 90% say there are more interested in a career that involves STEM
HOW MUCH DOES THE CAMP COST?
Thanks to a generous donor, the camp is FREE ($600 value, and donations accepted)
Parental Consent Form for all other sessions (formulario de consentimiento en español)
Deadline is July 15, 2018
If you apply and do not get a response by email, contact email@example.com.